CONSTRUCTION QUALITY & METHODS
Quality & Durability
Pacific Crest Builders Inc. is uncompromising when it comes to getting the best materials and highest level of finish incorporated into your project for the best price. This same uncompromising approach to quality is apparent in what you can see, as well as what you can't. Seamless details. Striking finishes. All wrapped up in a state of the art structure that costs less to operate, is more flexible, and will provide durability and value over time.
Pacific Crest Builders is building better through technology with some of the following products:
Engineered Wood Products (EWP) and Laminated Strand Lumber (LSL) products - including I-Joist, RigidLam, Paralam, LVL and RigidRim Rimboard are considered by most to be a green product because they are a more efficient use of raw materials. The manufacturing of EWP products uses fast growing, underutilized , and less expensive wood species. Large old growth trees are preserved. By design, engineered wood products require much less wood to achieve the same load bearing capability of solid sawn lumber. Its enhanced strength lets it span greater distances. Additionally, it resists twisting, warping and shrinking.
Suitable for a wide range of applications, LSL is ideal for zones within a home where strength and precision are critical. Engineered wood product are superior in most all respects to traditional lumber. A stronger, stiffer, more consistent and predictable building material is another way Pacific Crest Builders Inc. is building better with technology.
Engineered I joists offer many advantages. The floor joists can be purchased in varying depths with different flanges on the top and bottom. The I joists install in the same way as a traditional wood floor joist and make for a stiffer, squeakless floor.
I-joists are available in deeper depths than standard floor joists. The largest standard floor joist is a 2x12. You can order I joists in depths up to 16 inches! This allows you to span greater distances to accommodate more to wide open spaces.
I joists are also more consistent in size and shape than traditional floor joists. Some new flooring materials (laminate flooring) can't be installed over traditional floor joists that have different height crowns. You don't have this problem with I joists! They are true and straight all of the time.
I joist span design standards make them a stiffer and more solid floor with far greater flexibility in design concepts.
There are two primary reasons our quality standard demands sheathing the entire exterior wall surface on your home:
First, the sheathing provides shear capacity to transfer loads from the trusses down the walls and into the foundation. By sheathing the entire envelope, the exterior rigidity of the structure is increased as well. Second, the sheathing allows all of the exterior wall, window, and door flashings to lie in the same plane without transitions or inconsistencies of the wall surface that might become prone to failure at the transitioning of flashing materials.
The flexibility in the roof design and complexity that roof trusses enable have also made them increasingly popular. With today's home styles, more complex roof designs, angles, cross gables and other features have added cost, which can be at least partially offset by using pre-manufactured roof trusses rather than building a roof frame on site.
While the basic advantages have been mentioned above, a more detailed list of the advantages of roof trusses in building a home include:
- Professional design and fabrication techniques; in conventional roof building, the carpenters build a roof frame, leaving much to chance and the builder's opinion in terms of the roof's strength. By comparison, a trussed roof system is designed by engineers to accommodate the specific roof design and meet building codes and enabling a more uniform size and roof pitch.
- Higher quality materials and strength; roof trusses are fabricated inside a shop, where the materials are not exposed to inclement weather or moisture conditions.
- Trusses can typically be installed in a single day, speeding the home construction process and getting the structure closed up sooner, which helps prevent moisture and other weather elements from getting inside.
- Trusses are cheaper than conventional roof framing due to labor savings and since they are built from shorter lengths of 2x4 lumber rather than the large size lumber required in building rafters and ceiling joists.
- Roof truss systems allow for almost any custom roof design and shape imaginable, allowing features such as cross gables and cathedral ceilings without being prohibitively expensive.
- Roof trusses can span much longer distances without the need for load bearing interior walls
This innovative product helps block radiant heat in the roof from entering the attic, keeping the attic cooler, lowering energy costs and making the home more comfortable. LP TechShield is the only radiant barrier sheathing that features patented VaporVents™ technology, which allows it to dry more quickly from construction moisture than other radiant barriers.
LP® TechShield® is a cost-effective, energy-efficient solution for earning green building credits and helping meet codes. The product installs like conventional roof sheathing, requiring no additional labor. LP TechShield offers a variety of homeowner benefits: potentially reduces tonnage of the HVAC system, cuts monthly air conditioning bills up to 17%, and may qualify for utility rebates.
As mentioned with a flat exterior wall plan, flashing is a key component in the building process. Quickflash panels complete the building envelope system and offer a no caulk friction seal for reducing liability for moisture intrusion, creating an air barrier, and even preventing insect infestation through the penetrations or protrusions. Caulking breaks down over time. Incomplete and improper caulking of penetrations is one of the primary sources of water intrusion. Any time the building envelope is breached, proper sealing is essential.
RealTrim exemplifies the natural beauty of real wood and sets the standards by which all other trim boards are measured. Real Trim will provide you with a premium quality product that completes the exterior look on any single or multi-family project. The 10 Year Warranty is the most comprehensive in the industry and it is available in various dimensions and lengths.
RealTrim begins with a hand-selected, tight grain, kiln-dried Western SPF, resulting in a premium quality product from start to finish. RealTrim products provide the perfect complement to any exterior cladding, whether fiber cement, wood, brick, composites or hardboard.
- Full range of lengths (8' - 20') means fewer joints and less waste
- Superior 10 year substrate & primer warranty adds security and dependability
- Premium proprietary Hybrid Alkyd Emulsion (HAE) primer - ultra-low VOC
- Factory primed on all sides and ready for top-coating
- 100% usable product means less jobsite waste
- Mold inhibiting Octabor from US Borax blended into the primer
- Consistent finish across entire RealWood family provides uniform look
Pacific Crest Builders, Inc. has has been involved in the analysis and repair of hundreds of homes having poor and defective construction and can provide the following services:
Construction Defect Problem Analysis, Claims Repairs and Resolution
Phone 925-766-7889 • 2109 East Street, Concord, CA 94520